Sunday, December 5, 2010

3K43K... 3k for 3k? RED Scarlet...

As I was researching about the DSLR 'film' world, I came across this great podcast (indiemoviecast.com) talking about the RED Scarlet. I started my small collection of glass (lenses) and since they become an investment for the future, I keep my eye open for the 'next' body. Originally interested on a full frame camera, I decided to wait and hope for the next Canon 5D (Mark III?). RED cameras are the indie filmmaker dream, but at a cost most of us CANNOT pay. We have been waiting for about two years of rumors on the RED Scarlet. It seems it never comes out. But it will. Well, we all hope. But it seems like a real dream. I've heard they are waiting to release it 'right'. No rushing (as they seem they've done with the RED One), so they can provide us with the very best. 3K HD files at 120 frames per second for under 3 thousand dollars? Well, I do not know; this is only my personal speculation and hope. I will also love to use my Canon lenses as well. That will be really great. No idea how big the sensor will be. I am quite happy with the 'film' coolness of the Canon 7D even though the sound sucks with the AGC (Audio Gain Control) and seems it will not be fixable because the firmware with the fix seems (at least at the moment I am writing this) not possible.


Hey, when the next 5D and the Scarlet are out; if they do at a similar time frame... it COULD be a tough choice... or not. It will all depend on the actual specs and most of all for us indie filmmakers... the price.


Merry Christmas!! (If I don't write you before then)