Sunday, October 11, 2009

'The' Camera

Well, in order to start shooting I needed a camera. As we all know, the internet is probably the wealthiest source of information and perhaps the quickest one to access most of the time. My research began and I ended up finding a wonderful website called DVinfo.net and through their forums I learned pretty much all I wanted about cameras.
Since I have no practical experience, the first thing I wanted to know was to either shoot on SD (Standard Definition) or on HD (High Definition). I've read different takes on which one to take, but I just picked the one I felt is the way to go for a beginner filmmaker as of today, HD.

I researched about Sony, Canon and Panasonic cameras. I came down to these three HD cameras and this SD one:

SD
Canon XL-2

HD
Sony PMW-EX1
Panasonic AG-HMC150
Canon XH-A1S

I read very nice reviews and all four. The XL-2 is a great camera, but I took it down of my list because it is SD and I am looking to shoot in HD. I am mentioning it here, because for what I read, it is a fantastic camera.

I also learned that probably the EX1 is the best of all of these three HD cameras I picked. It has the best image, but the price is almost twice as the XH-A1S and the HMC150.
So, even though I was amazed for the EX1 and the footage I've seen from it, and the reviews and the comments from the experts at DVinfo, I took it down of my list, just ONLY for the price.

So, I have the XH-A1S and the HMC150 left. I am trying to shoot on 24p (progressive / native) to get the film like look. And I read the Canon uses 24f which is their version of 24p. Some people say it is not the same, some people say it is. Since I have NO clue, I have chosen the HMC150 since I know 24p is 24p and nobody complained about it.

Film cameras prices goes from 3000 dollars to probably 180000 dollars, but for what I want to accomplish at home, I believe the HMC150 will give me the best for the least (amount of money). At least it will give me 1080p/24p with 3-CCD, 1/3" with two XLR connectors for under 3500 bucks, not bad!

That said, I've got the HMC150 for my birthday (from B&H also recommended from most people); and that is another brick on my wall of filmmaking.

Next step: Some more education!!

Peace,