Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wannabe Filmmaker

Once upon a time...
Not very long ago, I have decided to become a filmmaker because as an actor, I have to create my own opportunities due of the place I live in. Vermont does not have many film acting opportunities, and since perhaps this is the place I will spend most of my days left on this Earth; becoming a filmmaker was a natural choice. Being the director, producer, editor, writer and casting director of my own movies (or short movie); will allow me to cast myself as the leading role right? But I felt that I have to become a wannabe filmmaker first since as today I know very little about filmmaking.
When am I going to become a filmmaker? Well, I don't really know the answer of that question... yet.
Perhaps when I shoot my first movie or short? Or maybe when I finish and publish/broadcast my first movie or short? I do not know, but this is a journey I've decided to share with the world since it might help someone else who is keen to begin in this fascinating world and have very little clue or none clue at all like myself on how to learn this beautiful art. That is why it is hard to call myself a filmmaker yet, so I feel more like a wannabe filmmaker so far.

That is NOT the only reason for me to become a filmmaker. I really honestly do like film making. It was something in me since I was a little kid. I taped the wedding of my uncle when I was 12 years old. Raw video of course, but I did it and most people liked it (well, they were my family; what are they going to say right?). Anyway, my Dad always tells me that I've always had such a talent for shooting those videos (yeah, right!), even though I have never really agreed with him. I also taped our family Disney trip when I was also 12 I think.
But as you probably know well, virtually ANYONE can press the REC button and tape anything. That did not make me a filmmaker. Well, at least it does not feel that way because filmmaking is a serious business and takes many several years of experience to master.

But Spielberg, Rodriguez, Mann and Tarantino started with a blank page at some point. I know I have no chance to ever be even close to them, but I just want to become me, just a filmmaker.

This will probably become a very slow and long journey, so I hope that if you have patience, you can enjoy it as much as I will certainly do. This is my blank page...

Let's learn, let's have fun, let's work!!

Ben Tolosa