Saturday, October 17, 2009

SDHC memory card for recording at 1080p and 24p: Class 4, Class 6 or Class 10?

I was very excited about opening the box of my new HMC-150 (AVCHD recording format). And of course, when I open it up I remembered I had to buy a memory card.

My goal is to record on 1080p, 'p' meaning: 'progressive scan', which is different than 1080i; 'i' meaning 'interlaced scan'. I am not going to go into the details on 'i' and 'p' since you can find that out quickly, but 'p' is far better.

Reading the camera's manual, it says that supports Class 4 SDHC memory cards. So, I went to the local electronics store and did some research on SDHC cards. I wasn't sure if to get a Class 4 or not, because I couldn't read any 1080p description anywhere on the different Class 4 brands. And that store only had Class 2, Class 4 and Class 10. But the Class 10 where all above $100!! even 4gb!! But those, said HD 1080p on them. I asked 3!! different people who work at that chain store and they had no idea. So, before I almost bought a Class 4 and left, a forth guy came to ask me 'May I help you' since the store was already closed. I asked him and he knew!!

He told me that Class 4 only records on 'Standard High Definition' which is 720!!. So, finally!! I learned what I was looking for. I didn't buy the card and I went home and asked the dvinfo.net friends. They confirmed the same with me and also said that Class 10 is overkilled for my situation. They recommended me to stick with Class 6 if possible. I did, and I stopped at different chain store; and they did have Class 6 available. In fact, only one left!!

So, I picked it up and I also learned from the specs that Class 6 is 15MB/s. Which means that reads at 15MB/s and guarantees to write on 9MB/s. Logically I understood that 1080p at 24p requires at least 9MB/s writing speed to handle the amount of data that captures per second on AVCHD recording format.


Interesting way to learn, not surprisingly... by doing... ^_^